Monday, August 1, 2011

Dinner, Drinks, and Pictures of a Stranger's Birth Canal


Ahhh, date night in Hartsville. My loving husband took me to one of my favorite restaurants in the local area, Bow Thai. With severely limited choices of fresh veggies without animal fat added, this is truly a treat. After dinner we strolled over to the Midnight Rooster, my absolute favorite place to eat. The coffee shop/vegetarian/sushi joint was open late for live music, which we arrived with enough time to sit and order a drink before the show started. We were directly behind a couple in their 50's/60's who thought it was necessary to bring their laptop out to the live show. The woman felt the need to open the laptop and after letting it start up, a slide show began of all the personal family photos. Now, usually the people in a joint like this are plenty of entertainment for the preshow conversation, but we couldn't take our eyes off the slide show directly in front of us. In ~5-10 minutes, we learned how many children this woman has, how many grandchildren, and we actually witnessed one of her grandchildren be born. OH yes, gore, blood, and boobies. Mark and I were completely embarrassed for this woman but we couldn't tear our eyes off what we were seeing. From there it moved to family camping which included breast feeding. What kind of family is this that allows grandmothers unlimited access to the delivery room and full-frontal breast feeding photos?? It scares me slightly because I know my mother would love this kind of access. We couldn't help but laugh at what we were seeing. I wanted to put a stop to this but by now the band had started and conversation was not going to happen. I could just imagine yelling at the top of my lungs to a stranger, "I just saw your daughter's vagina...again. Can you please close your laptop?" So I decided to write her a little note. By the time this was finished, the daughter, whose breasts and vagina had been on display for nearly 10 minutes, walks up and slams the laptop closed. I didn't notice this but Mark was witness to it all. Nevertheless, what a memorable date night.

1 comment:

  1. there are so many wonderful quotes in here and my favorite is "gore, blood, and boobies". I like it...it's soothing somehow. I can't believe you wrote her a note!

    ReplyDelete