Thursday, March 19, 2009

Love and the Old Rugged Cross

I experienced what true love really means last night. One thing I appreciate about couples is hearing stories of what happens when no one is around. Morning showers together, foot rubs, watching movies on the floor... I finally have someone that is so present in my life and faithful that it finally happened.
I had been working on Mark's laptop doing homework and getting easily distracted by the television show he was watching. When I was almost finished, his show was over and he came and sat with me at the kitchen counter. Instead of going to bed, I asked if he would read to me. He grabs the current issue of Time magazine and starts reading a story about Christian music and the influence that Calvinism has on music, down to the decade.
I realize this might not excite most of you, but initially the story was intriguing. And honestly, if someone loves you enough to read to you instead of crawling into a warm bed, you're bound to listen to almost anything just to get them to stay with you.
Apparently, a hymn popular in the past few decades has been "The Old Rugged Cross," my mother's favorite hymn. So I say, I know that one. And begin to sing it for him.
As told to me a year ago by one of my best friends--a killer good lead guitar player--while singing Cake's "Stick Shifts and Safety Belts" at 1 a.m. with a room full of stoned hippies: "Morg, I think you're tone deaf."
You can imagine how well this went, singing a hymn with no music. I realize this and look to see if I can find a tune to sing along with. Here is what I find:
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/r/oruggedc.htm
The music is absolutely awful, along with the photo of the man. Yet I continue to sing through the chorus and another verse. And what do you think Mark did during this fiasco? He sat, patient and smiling, just listening to me. I called it quits after another go through the chorus and then we both cracked up. And finally, I know what it feels like to be loved for all the good and all the not so good.

Do you have anything intriguing and not so secret that you'd love to share about your love? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment