Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Southern Hospitality: Heritage not Hate?

I like to play this game with myself. I mostly play it in the car. Or while walking my dog. Or going to the library. Anytime I'm out and about in the South.
It's called, "Count the Confederate Flags."
I see them as patches on jackets, as bumper stickers, but by far my favorite is flying from the back of a beat up pickup truck.
I saw seven in half an hour on my way home from work a few weeks ago. This has really started to bother me. I want to know the meaning behind why people still fly the Confederate flag with such pride knowing the feeling of such deep suppression degradation that it carries for an entire race of people.
So, I decided to begin asking people what it means to them, and perhaps start documenting this journey, whether it be through photographs or interviews.
I plan to make this journey with sincerity, mostly to save myself from name calling or worse, but I do believe this will stir up some knowledge I have been ignorant to in the past.
I hope I make this worth your while, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment