Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Boys and Mirrors

Have I spoke on this topic previously? Perhaps, but I would like to express just how ridiculous it is to see guys at the gym checking themselves out. It happens quite frequently and I laugh out loud when I catch them doing it. I work out at the Clemson University gym which is a great gym, I will have to say. But there's something different about the men here...they remind me of most of the boys I went to high school with--they all look the same. Preppy white dudes who wear khaki pants and hiking boots; only now they have a new addition: the popped collar. Needless to say, it's a favorite past time to find imperfections in men who think they have none. As I was working out a couple months ago in the free-weight area, a guy walked past and flexed his arm muscle in the mirror. Another day a guy turned his bottom toward the mirror, lifted up his shirt, and flexed his butt muscles. Most of the time they are checking themselves out and it really is a treasure to know that men are also struggling with body image. Perhaps I should not be so joyous to know this is true, but I feel as if women are now not alone in their quest for bodily perfection. Ahh, but this is all leading into another interesting observation about gender roles/clothes/styles and the guy I saw at the gym wearing a headband. I stopped and stared.

No comments:

Post a Comment