Monday, January 31, 2011

Ohio Snowstorms, library books, and "the damn satellite"

In less than an hour, my father has informed me that a storm is going to hit Ohio, covering the ground in 2" of ice and possible 8" of snow. He told me this today on my drive home from student teaching high school English at a local rural school. I looked through the long-leaf pine trees that flanked the two-lane road and took a deep breath of relief. I had no winter weather coming my way. I did not have to worry about walking around in snow pants and hiking boots for ten days or waiting out the freeze until the ground reappeared; No salt stains on my jeans or ice chunks in my doggie's tail.

My father stated that the television was down. (Important side note: my Dad is a journeyman carpenter whom I respect immensely. He recently was given a 50" television set after completing a job and he's as proud of it as the golden leg-lamp in A Christmas Story.) He then followed up with the fact that he's down to a couple of books to read and a snow and ice storm is about to hit. I thought, cool! What a great time to visit the library and pick up a couple of books. His response?

"I don't want to read a book, Morgan, I want the damn satellite fixed so I can watch my TV."

But of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment